1. National Museum Of The US Air Force, Dayton, Ohioproudly at number one is the National Museum of the US Air Force, located at the Wright-Patterson Air Force Base on the outskirts of Dayton, Ohio. This attraction gained an average of 92.85 percent of five-star reviews on TripAdvisor. Opened in 1923, the museum started out small but is now the largest military aviation museum in the world. Among the exhibits are many photos, personal artifacts and documents that tell the story of the US Air Force.
2. National Infantry Museum and Soldier Center, Columbus, GeorgiaSurprisingly, number two on the list of free attractions is also related to the military and is located in Columbus, Georgia. The National Infantry Museum and Soldier Center has attracted an average of 92.32 percent five-star reviews on TripAdvisor. Meanwhile, the free-to-enter museum showcases more than 70,000 personal artifacts, dating back from the previous 240 years in the history of the US Military. Moreover, it features a giant screen theater and simulation center.
3. The Tomb Of The Unknown Soldier, Arlington, VirginiaThe Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is located in Arlington, Virginia and has attracted an average of 90.59 percent of five-star reviews. This iconic free attraction holds the remains of servicemen who perished in the Korean War, World War 1 and World War 2. In fact, the somber monument forms part of the largest, and most important, military cemetery in the US. A good time to visit is when the dedicated Tomb Guard changes guard with an impressive 21-set march. It is best to check the local times as they do change depending on the season.
4. Gettysburg National Military Park, PennsylvaniaNumber four on the list of free attractions is Gettysburg National Military Park in Pennsylvania. The percentage ranked on TripAdvisor with five-star reviews is an average of 89.81 percent. This site marks the turning point of the American Civil War, where it was the most devastating battlefield. Moreover, it is also famous for President Abraham Lincoln’s iconic Gettysburg Address. Just visiting the national park offers a feeling of the sheer size and scale of the deadly battle.
5. Great Smoky Mountain National Park, North Carolina and TennesseeMoving away from military-related free attractions, the Great Smoky Mountain National Park is popular with travelers and has an average five-star review of 89.51 percent. Besides its amazing 500,000 acres of landscapes and scenery and plenty of flora and fauna, the park is famous for the southern Appalachian culture. It is also known for its morning fog which gives the mountain its smoky nickname.
These free attractions were the top five in the list of five-star reviews on TripAdvisor. The balance of the list is included below:
- Marginal Way, Ogunquit, Maine
- Cathedral Basilica of Saint Louis, Saint Louis, Missouri
- Cleveland Museum of Art, Cleveland, Ohio
- College of the Ozarks, Point Lookout, Missouri
- Falls Park on the Reedy, Greenville, South Carolina
Enjoy exploring the US this fall, visiting some of the most popular, five-star free attractions in the US.