American Express Travel 2024 Trending Destinations list
Each year, American Express Travel reveals its Trending Destinations list for the next year. On that list, it spotlights some of the most popular travel destinations for the coming year. However, this year’s list is different and focuses on lesser-known vacation locations. While equally worthy, they provide the perfect alternative to some of the most popular places in the world.
In its Global Travel Trends report, American Express Travel found that 89 percent of respondents want to visit destinations they have never been to before. Meanwhile, 68 percent agree, saying they pride themselves on uncovering lesser-known travel spots before they become popular. Moreover, based on Amex Travel’s online booking data, the following are the top 6 trending destinations in the off-the-beaten-path world to visit in 2024.
1. Go down under to Adelaide Hills, AustraliaAustralia is a fascinating and diverse country and interest is rising with Gen-Z and Millennials from 2019 to 2023. Meanwhile, visits to the downunder country have seen an almost 800 percent increase in bookings. For those who love Blue Hills National Park in New South Wales, Australia, they’re also going to love this off-the-beaten-path alternative. Adelaide Hills is a spectacular location in South Australia, boasting stunning landscapes, scenic trails, wildlife encounters and some of the best wine in the country.
2. Historic and beautiful Bodrum, TurkeyWhile a popular and iconic city, Istanbul in Turkey can get crowded, especially in season. According to American Express Travel, those looking for a similar experience without the crowds can rather go to Bodrum. Nestling on the Aegean Sea, the city is surrounded by natural beauty and idyllic beaches. Meanwhile, it also offers rich history and culture, with its castles and other historic buildings.
3. Quaint and pretty Cervo, ItalyDriving the Amalfi Coast in Italy is a wonderful experience, stunning to look at and fascinating to visit. However, it can tend to be crowded, especially in summer. American Express Travel reckons visitors to Italy might right visit the tiny, ancient town of Cervo. Nestling on the Italian Riviera, the town is quaint and fascinating with much charm and interesting history.
4. Caribbean paradise in St. Kitts & NevisMany Americans head to the US Virgin Islands in the Caribbean, and while they are beautiful there are other options. St. Kitts and Nevis is a dual-island nation, with idyllic beaches, gorgeous scenery and spectacular hiking trails to take it all in. Meanwhile, visitors can learn about the nation’s past while exploring its former sugar plantations. The past for the people in these plantations was anything but sweet, but fascinating to learn about.
5. Take to the slopes in Niseko, JapanMany travelers love Sapporo in Japan, but next year, head to Niseko instead. Reportedly, Japan is the number one, fastest-growing travel destination for Gen-Z and Millennials alike. Moreover, Amex Travel saw a more than 1,300 percent increase in travel bookings for Japan from 2019 to 2023. While you might head to Niseko for its spectacular skiing, there are many other activities for visitors all year round.
6. Visit charming San Miguel de Allende, MexicoAnyone who regularly visits Mexico’s Mayan Riviera might want to make a change in destination in 2024. San Miguel de Allende is getting popular and has been a more than 400 percent increase in bookings on Amex Travel with the Gen-Z and Millennial crowd, as compared to a mere 57 percent among Global Gen-Z and older travelers. This charming colonial city is a great alternative to the Riviera Maya.
Visit the American Express Travel website to learn about more travel destination alternatives for 2024.